Iyi-Enu Mission Hospital had its early beginnings in the (CMS) Nigeria Medical Mission Ozalla, Onitsha where the missionaries carried on a ministry of healing through attending to the sick, suffering and the dying around 1902. In 1907, Iyi-Enu Hospital was started as a small dispensary/hospital in Onitsha by Maxwell. In 1901, Miss Mary Elms arrived Onitsha to work in that dispensary/hospital until 1907 when that small hospital moved from there to its present site. Before 1927, there was no formal training of nurses in Iyi-Enu Mission Hospital. On a number of occasions girls were recruited at random and first started work as dressers before being taught the aspects of nursing like how to put fomentations and check temperatures.
By 1931, more systematic training was started which offered the student nurses more formal lectures as well as on-the-job training. When Nigeria medical services inaugurated official Nursing Midwifery training, minimum education standards were fixed, Iyi-Enu standard had to be raised to meet the government requirements for registration.
With the introduction of new standard for training of nurses and midwives, in 1969 by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria, and subsequent recognition of the hospital in accordance with the new standards, the first batch of nineteenth student nurses for training were admitted in June 1974. Eligible candidates must pass in February and August, the State Common Entrance Examination which is organized by Ministry of Education.
Thereafter, successful candidates are subjected to a written examination and an oral interview both of which are conducted by the selection committee of the hospital.
Both the Schools of Nursing and Midwifery are adequately staffed and have classrooms and demonstration rooms properly provided with standard equipments for teaching and conducting practicals.
After the civil war in 1970, the school continued three years Basic Nursing and 18 months Post Basic Nursing as approved by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria. In August, a Team of Inspectors led by Mrs. Elizabeth Onuora, the Chief Nursing Officer of the State confirmed the quality of the services of graduates of School of Nursing. According to the team, sample tests of specific Nursing techniques and tour of the ward showed satisfactory standards.
Presently, entrance examinations are conducted in the school by the Examination Board Members/Examination Committee members in May of every year. Successful candidates are invited for interview in August and successful candidates commence training in October.
The Principals of the School after the Civil War
- Comfort Ekpunobi 1971 – 1977
- Anene 1977 – 1980
- Miss G.U. Obi 1981 – 1985
- Lady H.A. Agbata 1986 – June 2012
- J.N. Nduka August 2012 till date